By Court Reporter
Kwale magistrate has ordered Diani OCS to investigate DCI bribery claims levelled against them by one of the arrested “panga boys” suspected criminals.
The principal magistrate Lilian Lewa made the orders after 13 suspected juvenile criminals who have been terrorizing Diani and Ukunda residents were taken to court on Tuesday.
There was drama mixed with tension as one of the suspects narrated how his parents paid Sh4500 for his release with colleagues from Diani police station on Monday 1:00 PM before he was later rearrested.
To make the claims concrete, the said mother present during the court session was able to identify the DCI officer allegedly involved in taking money “for panga boys suspects’ freedom” before the magistrate.
This was after investigating officers into the case Police constable Musa Weche asked the court to grant him 14 days to complete the investigation before charging the 13 suspects.
They are Gilbert Obiero Ongudi, Isaiah Wanyama Simiyu,Sudi Shamrani Mwariga ,Athman Ramadhan Mwachibulo,, Suleiman Mohamed Suleiman, Elvis Ngila Mutunga alias Rambo, Emmanuel Heri Karisa,Suleiman Juma Mwambuja,Hamisi Ali Salim,Abdul Amir Karisa,Ravin Ronald Obunde and Said Ali Tengeza.
“Your honor I paid Sh15,000 for my son and others to be released but my son was rearrested leaving his colleagues free,” she said.
The agitated mother gave the suspected DCI official contact number that she had been using as the officer stood before the court in disbelief.
Asked how she delivered the 15,000 to the officer, the suspects’ mother said that it was cash money in what looks like a method to leave no trace in such cases by the police.
Magistrate Lewa put the officer to task to explain the issue at hand and claimed that he had no idea since there was no receipt of the same.
“The woman cannot be sick and forget that she gave you money to the extent she recognizes you,” said the magistrate.
Another suspected panga-boy criminal claimed that his two phones and Sh10,260 belonging to his parents were taken by police when he was arrested.
“I want the court to help me get back my phones and the money to my parents,” said the suspect.
During the court session 8 other suspects asked the court to ensure they get treatment saying that they were sick and their plea to get medical attention was never responded to by police in Diani.
In her ruling magistrate Lewa also directed that the suspects human rights be respected and taken to hospital for treatment.
‘I have considered the investigating officer and also the suspects plea and direct that investigation into the bribery claims be done and report tabled in this court by 10/April/2025.There should be no torture at all let the suspects rights be respected,” she said.
The Diani OCS was also tasked with the responsibility of investigating the Sh10,260 and two phone claims that were taken while arresting the suspects.
Principal magistrate Lewa set allowed the investigating officer 10 days instead of 14 days to complete the investigation while setting the mention of the case for 10/April/2025.
The suspects are among 120 arrested after a weeklong crackdown of the juvenile gang was launched in Diani.
One of the recent victims being Msenangu MF reporter Brivian Simiyu after he was attacked during the day at the Diani cooperative area.